Tony's Biggest weakness as a coach is

I agree. Every cycle should have at least the top 3star from Va coming in.

It’s also the type of thing that builds on itself. All those Carolina kids UVA gets are familiar with one another. Start getting one or 2 solid guys a cycle and word spreads locally. And it’s good for the fan base. Personally I know I’m always partial to cheer for a kid who’s from Va no matter where they go to school.

3 Likes

And we offered all of those kids scholarships. Each of of those recruitments were different but all had major obstacles that we can’t yet overcome as a program. Not sure why you keep beating this drum like we’re turning VA kids away. Heaven forbid they wanna play for UNC Duke or KU or go to a team with massive ties to his AAU program (Slater)

1 Like

Not beating a drum - I don’t have one - but I did play trumpet in middle school. Just interesting to me why so many VA kids go elsewhere? When I played we had a ton of players from the state of Virginia - starters/major contributors at that (Stith, Alexander, Cornel Parker, Yuri Barnes, Jason Williford Harold Deane) and others I am forgetting. Our best two players ever are from Virginia (Ralph and Stith) as well. Guess I am old school with that, and as @MaineWahoo points out, it’s more important to get good players no matter where they are from. But it is interesting to me as to why we don’t get them… Not sure there is a definitive answer as its different for every kid. I’ll put my trumpet down now…

8 Likes

I don’t think any of us will ever see any evidence unless Franklin says something about it in the future. True, they’re different players, but they’d compete for minutes at the same position.

Thinking it over, I will concede that if Murphy redshirted, then Franklin might’ve come anyway because Murphy would’ve still been an unknown. But Murphy playing last year and deciding to stay in school, I doubt Franklin or any other player looking for a starting role wants any part of trying to win minutes from 2 established guys.

1 Like

Plenty of talent in Virginia but finding "fit’s for our system narrows the pool drastically.

on the board with my first post

7 Likes

I think instate recruiting is more important in football. Basketball is a global sport now and you can watch full game streams of kids across the world. Also kids move around a lot and don’t have that instate attachment. Also kids want to see the world now (they see it on the computers at home growing up and know that a world exists out of their hometown).

Bacot and McCormack were never coming here/the typical richmond kid “Im too good for UVA” trope that others have pointed out due to our history prior to Tony while these kids were youngins. The national title will help with future recruiting classes who were kids watching us 2014-2019 and becoming “radicalized” to be wanting to be Hoos.

5 Likes

We cannot live in the past, as every year is a NEW year. Otherwise why don’t we tell Tony to retire now so that we can remember the good years?

If not, and he wants to compete *each year then we should be talking about *each year. This year was poorly constructed, and we have enough data to understand some of the reasons why.

This is why we have this specific thread.

I was curious what other top schools have in regards to home state players. This is far from an exhaustive study but here’s what I quickly found.

I looked at the top 5 players (based on minutes played) on every national championship team going back to 2002. Of those 19 teams, 12 of them did not have a home state player in their top 5 minutes played, 5 of them had one home state player, and 2 of them had two home state players.

5 Likes

This is a very good point, and of course we can add Keels to the list as he *sometimes starts. Either way you’re right.

You’ve actually brought this up around football as well, and I definitely agreed then too, as there is a lot of talent in the 757, Nova and other places that coach Tony Elliott recognizes and brought on several recruiters that are helping to sew up those areas.

Does TB need to hire another assistant who can focus specifically on the DMV area as well? If not then I can see Tech begin to make some inroads to that talent in addition to UNC and dook.

Damn @Wahoos!!! Killing my argument - which is the point of the Forum. I am entertained…Good job on murdering my 1990’s themed thesis. Woody Hayes is pissed about this post by the way @Hooandtrue

4 Likes

I mean I still do agree with you. Not the “we need to get instate kids” but the “there are a couple instate kids I wish we had”. I do like Jeremy Roach and Mark Williams even if they are, at the end of the day, a poor man’s Reece and Kadin.

1 Like

I made a new thread for the not-tony-criticism-allowed types:

6 Likes

He’s tried different offensive schemes. Adapted his offenses to fit his personnel. He’s brought in transfers to fill immediate needs (rather than down the road needs).

1 Like

I don’t know if it necessarily kills your argument. There are some variables that could change the results. If it expanded to the top 8 players per team or looked at all top 10 teams from each season then it might be much different. Also each state is different. I wouldn’t expect UConn to rely on in-state players for example.

Fits our system AND will compliant with UVA standards…to this end it sounds like Keels (who we almost got) is going to have to be a OAD because he ceased attending classes at Duke. I’m not sure he’d still be playing at UVA or for CTB if he had come to C’ville. Am I wrong???

Did Keels stop classes?

Did Keels start classes?

16 Likes

At least now we know why Keels chose Duke over Virginia: It’s less academically demanding.

2 Likes

Yeah.

1 Like

Not picking up my drum or my trumpet, BUT, we basically have 5 full days until we watch the Final Four, which is the greatest day in sports in my opinion. Wondering what the same analysis would look like if we solved for teams making the Final Four instead of winning the National Championship? I think that’s a better measuring stick. Maybe it will support my thesis, or more likely, completely disprove my thesis about its importance? Don’t think it’s fair to only solve for a National Championship given where we are as a program. I think it would be interesting to see and maybe I will tackle that project this summer. Unless someone wants to step up and do it! My guess is that it will reveal that keeping in state players does matter but it’s just a guess. Perhaps we revisit this in June or July when we are watching secret/stolen video’s of our players in summer pick up games…. Or I can shut up and go back to watching the Celtics games.

2 Likes