Transfer Portal Possibilities

Mid major transfers will need to be a bigger part of the equation for everyone now. Assuming of course the NCAA does what people expect, with the one time exception. My personal philosophy in covering it has been to pay no attention to anyone they don’t have a history with until given reason to. You’ll chase your tail all day following potential transfer targets.

8 Likes

Mike Scott did not miss a fadeaway 15 footer during his senior year

4 Likes

Yeah, this was a JUCO kid originally, from California, and at 6-7 and 210 pounds he’s 0-3 from the 3-point line in two seasons at the D1 level.

I’d be beyond shocked if we had any interest.

I wouldn’t be too caught up on his 3%. More interested in his defense and attitude. We could make his offensive game work even without the three point shot if he is a plus defender and has the right mentality.

2 Likes

Absolutely true. On the other hand, there are probably 100 guys out there that’s true for. The big thing will be seeing who CTB actually has any interest in. Which… other than rare exceptions like Sam, are things we seem to mostly find out about after the announcement.

1 Like

I agree with this. He has a nice stroke which can extend past the 3, or he can be a slasher. Defensively I would love for his live-body to play great defense on the perimeter as a 3 or 4.

1 Like

I’m just saying. If Kessler does enter the portal…

1 Like

From what I recall about his recruitment (and there was a teacher from his school on another board that spoke very highly of him and his character) I doubt he’d do UNC and Roy like that and go to a conf rival. Georgia or the Zags

2 Likes

It just seems like a match made in heaven and we are much closer to home. He literally got a front row seat to what he could be on Saturday. Wish we would play UNC again on Wednesday or Thursday (we need more games anyways with this team) to give him another taste.

Of course you will be right in the end, but boy do I want you to be wrong. Especially when we are in the market for our next big.

I would be surprised to see him go to the Zags. They already have several young bigs and are in with Holmgren. I think Georgia will be the pick. He would have to be attracted to our utilization of Huff. UNC did kinda set the precedent with transferring within the conference. See Cam Johnson. It is already common in other sports, especially football.

3 Likes

Duke board speculating on Brakefield leaving. We were involved.

1 Like

Dude is the worst defender on a defensively bad Duke team. Nothing he can’t provide that McKoy already provides. My uneducated take is hard pass

Yes but he has the physical tools to be a good defender. I don’t know that I would want a former Dukie! I would take Kessler in a heartbeat!

McKoy looked a step quicker last night!

2 Likes

He visited Michigan too. He’s gotta be impressed by what Dickerson’s doing there and Howard has a reputation as a good big man coach. If Dickerson declares (and I don’t see why he wouldn’t), they would merit strong consideration.

Wynston Tabbs from BC just entered the portal. Scoring almost 14 a game and 40 percent from three. May be worth a look

3 Likes

I would be totally surprised if we even looked at him…he was suspended from the team because of his refusal or inability to follow c19 guidelines. Hoos won’t allow that.

1 Like

I don’t think UVA or any other school will hold the suspension against him. Would be different if the team hadn’t been jerked around by the BC administration first. As long as Tabbs doesn’t have other problems I think everyone will give him the benefit of the doubt. If we don’t pursue him it will be because of on court need and fit.

To be fair with Kessler, he doesn’t want to be used like Dickerson. He wants to show his shooting touch and perimeter skills along with his Dirk-lowblock skills. Wants to be used in a similar fashion to Jay Huff, which UNC currently can’t provide unless Roy changes his entire system (TBD).

2 Likes

And Roy’s system hasn’t worked the last 2 years with 5 star talent in the post and at PG.

1 Like

Roy’s system is just fine and will likely turn it around. In the context of Kessler, though, it’s not a great fit

3 Likes