Transfer Portal Possibilities

True!

1 Like

Yes that is true. That is why I was shocked he signed with UNC

1 Like

Penn State transfer forward Patrick Kelly mentioned hearing from UVA. He went to Virginia Episcopal in Lynchburg. They looked at him some out of high school. I’d be surprised if anything comes of it. He redshirted last year, then left when their coach was fired preseason. Still has 4 years left.

4 Likes

He’s be well served to look around, but I don’t really see him leaving his dream school where his sister was a legend after only one year.

Huh? Why would Mark Williams leave?

1 Like

No need for Kelly as the roster sits. McKoy fits better. And Murray coming in. And Jabri.

3 Likes

Can’t see CTB taking a chance here!

1 Like

Yikes. How many years in a row has one of their best players transferred. Capel must be an asshole or just a bad coach.

1 Like

In fairness to Capel, it appears Xavier has self-control issues.

1 Like

Trey McGowens transferred last year because he wanted to play the point, but they were giving it to X. Not exactly sure why Johnson would transfer now, maybe something happened

Saw some Pitt fans on twitter saying he didn’t get along with the coaching staff and was benched as a result. Capel made a statement saying they’ve “mutually agreed to part ways”. Obviously some disconnect between the 2.

1 Like

Mark Williams is in the best situation he could hope for. He clearly wanted to be in the Duke program and was willing to do it despite his style of play not fitting the traditional Duke mold. He was a prime candidate to be a slow developer who risked getting recruited over every year. With the lack of one-and-done level of success for Duke his year, they have been forced to develop and grow as a team, and Williams is a beneficiary. He may get sufficient traction as a productive big to stay in the rotation, even if big-time post recruits join the program. Coach K may rediscover what it’s actually like to develop players over time. He used to be pretty doggone good at it.

3 Likes

I really think when K got big in USA basketball and went one and done route he stopped being interested in developing guys as hands on coach. As we saw in our game he is now an architect of putting his team in positions to win using the tools / players he has

5 Likes

We may wish he was content with the status quo.

He’s had continuous issues with fouling out and technical fouls. Coach Capel called him out during a press conference recently. He commented that this was an ongoing issue.

1 Like

I don’t think K is capable of going back to being a hands on developmental coach anymore. Don’t know that anyone is at that age. I know it’s basketball vs. football but I think K has followed the natural transition to program manager of guys like Paterno and Bowden. But he’s still a damn good in game coach.

3 Likes

Thats it. When you have the talent of USA basketball thats what you have to become. I think he enjoys it that way

William’s will be firmly planted on the bench next year for Duke and watching Banchero get all the minutes he can handle.

If they don’t get Baldwin.