Transfer Portal Possibilities

Considered…yes… heavily… not so sure… I felt he gave them a look because his dad balled there… felt it was us or Duke and then of course he was their’s once the OAD and brotherhood fund talk moved him to Duke when they were collecting a couple 4 year players in him and Brakefield…

Heard it from all the same boards you frequent…

You can add Mark Williams to that list of two as well.

1 Like

What’s the deal with the extra year of eligibility? I assume Huff is gone no matter what, but could Hauser technically come back next year?

It’s an option for everyone. I mean, I don’t think either of those guys will consider coming back but technically they could. In terms of eligibility, it’s like this season didn’t happen. It’s a real mess for recruiting, especially at lower levels where guys probably will come back. Something they’ll have to deal with for the next 4 years.

2 Likes

Do scholarship limits stay the same, or do teams get extra just for next year?

Remain the same, if I recall creating a lot of the questions around if it makes sense to keep a guy an extra year, vs bring in a new player you can build with.

@BDragon @AdventiveQuasar I believe you are right however a player’s “bonus” year would not count towards the 13 limit. In the military… we have billets on the manning document… when there is more than one person in the organization tied to a specific billet for whatever reason, then they are considered an overage and the manning document shows the overaged Airman on the same billet line as the person filling the position. Both positions are paid but no additional billets are created.

Think that is the best comparison for what I think is happening.

3 Likes

This article came out before the extra year got extended to winter sports athletes as well, but it says that current seniors using an extra year will not count against limits: NCAA approves blanket waiver for 2020 fall sports athletes to retain year of eligibility - CBSSports.com

3 Likes

Coleman is now up to 9 mins played in Dook’s 6 conference games. He might have even less had he come to UVA.

2 Likes

What would be interesting is if Chase Coleman had more minutes than him…

3 Likes

Coleman might have gotten a few more minutes at UVA solely because, unlike Duke, we’ve blown several teams out.

I watched most of the Duke/GaTech game last night. Duke is small, with Jalen Johnson, who’s inconsistent, and Hurt, who’s not a banger, providing most of their interior scoring, which is not much, and interior defense. Coach K seems to be working Williams, Tape, and very occasionally Coleman into the line up to add some more rebounding and token interior presence, not unlike Caffaro at UVA.

GaTech was not hitting its 3s at the same rate last night as they have in their previous ACC games, which really hurt their chances. The Duke folks attributed it to better 3 pt defense, but I felt like GaTech was just a little too hyped up playing Duke, as also evidenced by several poor turnovers and shot selection. Devoe also didn’t play most of the second half, and I’m wondering if he got hurt. In summary, I’m not sure Duke demonstrated improved play in their win last night as much as GaTech just blew its opportunity.

I think Tape has been a major let down for them. Mid majors transfers are a mixed bag at best, but I thought he’d be a force for them. One of the more sought out transfers this past offseason

4 Likes
1 Like

Interesting. He rebounds well and if he has a midrange is he a SF or power forward?

Doesn’t shoot any 3s or is 0 percent from 3. 6’7 and no outside shot. Oof

I’m sure by May there will be quite a few options on the table, but interesting analysis by Vecenie.

1 Like

Maybe it’s like Mike Scott where he can shoot the three but isn’t asked to from his team. Nice looking jumper and his jr year highlights show he is an ATHLETE (justin anderson level lobs). If he has a 3pt shot that just hasnt been used I would take him in a HEARTBEAT. But without knowing that it’s a huge red flag

3 Likes

Looks like a better version of Braxton Key to me. Better shooter but maybe lacking Keys ballhandling.

1 Like

The formula for transfers under TB has been more or less guys they recruited (or at least evaluated a fair amount) in HS, right? Maybe there are a couple of exceptions, but it seems like that’s where they try to look (and maybe have the most success).

1 Like