Transfer Portal Possibilities

They could play together. He’s more like Kaufman and Coleman in skill.

We only had one scholarship to give at the time. McKoy could and should continue in his development and like Tu states he has a face-up game and he will probably replace Hauser and Murphy at some point. Williams could compliment and offer different skills.

Although I would love to have Nunez, I would also take Zeb in a heartbeat. They could play together! Nunez’s commitment isn’t a given either. Zeb could be special! Also Zeb committed originally to Coach Beilein.

We backed off Williams fairly early in the recruiting process after offering. He had a good visit but something went sour. Dont know how that affects any transfer possibilities but It cant help

I though it was more about zeroing in on Coleman until things ended with him also.

Let’s see what Williams looks like as a college player. I didn’t follow Hooz got next yet at that point so maybe he has a different read but I remember when McKoy committed rivals said that it meant we were out on Williams but Coleman was still a possibility.

Fascinating posts in this thread…but?

Where does the coaching staff find the minutes for (nearly) any of these kids?

Although I know it’s early in the season, so some current players on the roster may not prove themselves, but I keep thinking that UVA has so much depth, that there will be few who see a place for them joining the team.

the redshirt idea is not going tu work as much with players wanting tu play ASAP and the option tu transfer without sitting out. The transfer portal will play a key role for UVA AND they are targeting bigs who can step in and play right away. They will have the experience, size, maturity and skill set. They wont need a red shirt yr like HS Bigs.

Williams size and being a tweener turned UVA away.

2 Likes

If kids don’t continue in their development, they will be passed by new signees. Iron sharpens Iron! I’m sure the staff is constantly projecting development and assessing their needs. The reason I mention Williams, its obvious the have desired a physical but mobil big with then potential back-to-the-basket skills. With the 4 and 1 offensive sets, this type of big could excel in the open spacing.

That’s what I thought at the time but not as critical with the new offensive scheme.

T. Willy would just cause even more of a backlog, same as Zeb (if they were to transfer)…would rather focus on 2021s, +transfers that may become more real later on…

2 Likes

I don’t think it will be as prevalent as it has in the past. However, there will be prospects that will recognize some advantages due to physical development. Zeb is a case in point. He is too skilled to red-shirt, unless he feels a year dedicated to physical development is in his best interests.

I know he moved to Louisa from the NJ/NY area before his high school career. After playing for Louisa High, he transferred to Blue Ridge, right? Virginia never offered him a scholarship.

Most guards dont redshirt. Its mainly our bigs. And Devon came tu college just as big as Zeb.

Height maybe but Zeb is a little thin like Murphy and Jabri. Zeb should be good wherever he ends up. I’m not saying he will leave Michigan.

I am unsure that there is any better indicator of the corrosive effect of covid-19 self-isolation than a lengthy internet discussion of which prospects UVa MIGHT pursue IF said prospects were to enter the transfer portal. Suddenly, discussions of Area 51 don’t seem so unreasonable! :slight_smile:

And, before anyone takes offense, it’s not you. It’s the times in which we live!

6 Likes

The conversation feels a little seedy talking about what kids are going to leave their current programs. At least it hasn’t descended into speculation about the UVA kids. That would be up there with open discussion of which of your kids you love best or which of your friend group could be your second spouse while your current spouse is near the knife drawer.

3 Likes

It’s due to the new NCAA rules regarding transfers. Welcome to NCAA “free agency”!

Love to see our players development and proving fans wrong! Hope we don’t go there!