Transfer tracking

I see some chatter that Caleb Love could be leaving as well?

9 Likes

Oh shoot, I went to high school with the Monacan coach. Mike Young and RJ Spelsberg (Monacan coach) were both assistants under Bob Johnson at Emory&Henry. They didnā€™t overlap, but the fraternity of former Johnson assistants is close. https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/from-emory-henry-to-the-big-dance-the-man-behind-college-basketballs-unlikeliest-coaching-tree/amp/

1 Like

Felder is from South Carolina. Buzz Williams recruited him hard at VT, and they definitely were preemptively after him before this. UVA did look at him some in high school. I actually remember talking to him on twitter. He popped into my DMs just to say thanks for mentioning him. Extremely polite kid, that rarely happens.

14 Likes

I would not be surprised if we are disappointed by the transfer market. Seems like thereā€™s a lot of back door work being done and I do not expect us to be doing that

Did Buzz have some sort of connection to Monteverdi? Iā€™m trying to remember exactly, but I vaguely recall an article that mentioned a friend of his basically having open access at VT and later on another article about the college admissions scandal talked about that same guy. I could have made that whole connection in my head though.

Lol, ok

1 Like

Talking Felder, Iā€™d assume heā€™d want to win as well Develope and get PT. That doesnā€™t scream A&M or USCe

Am I missing something? Do we actually go back door?

Apparently Walker Kessler and Justin Powell were aau teammates?

EVERYBODY dabbles in it whether they admit it or not. It is extremely unlikely there is any direct contact, but intermediaries are quite useful. Most of the time itā€™s just ā€œHey, Player X might be looking to transfer. He might be a fit with you guys.ā€ How far it goes beyond that is different with every program, but I can guarantee you every major staff does their due diligence prior to most big time transfers hitting the portal.

4 Likes

Fair enough

True. if I remember right Powell moved around (shocker) but they played together for a while with Game Elite, GA based Adidas team.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to get Tre Mitchell. To get an Akil/Darion type guy for next year as a first year in the program / having to learn the pack line and being an elite defender day 1 in our system is a tough ask. Would rather someone who can get buckets in the paint and hit the outside shot. Shedrick is our best hope at an Akil / Darion guy. McKoy should be better defensively as well.

1 Like

Someone posted this on another forum but I saw it would be appropriate here too.

Did things die down when he wanted to stay in 2020 and we wanted him in 2019?

1 Like

Tipton tweeting that Gonzaga is the fave for Kessler

1 Like

Heā€™s just spouting the 247 rumor for like ever. Their forum was where the Kessler transferring rumor started.

1 Like

Lol maybe so. I was just passing along the info. Iā€™m pretty sure Tipton talks to these guys, so itā€™s worth a mention at least.

1 Like

True, but he makes a point of never speculating when he actually knows whatā€™s going on.

1 Like

Yes and sometimes the ā€œintermediariesā€ are their parents like was the case with Kessler.