šŸŒŽ Travel Discussion

I spent 10 days in Rio, Sao Paolo, and Santa Catarina.

Not a bad place to spend a week and a half. Great food, great people, great music, great caipirinhas.

1 Like

Culebra?

2 Likes

Thats awesome. I know Rio and Sao Paulo like the back of my hand. Never been to Santa Catarina though

Also my ex wife from Brasil is named Katherine Great mom of my oldest sons

2 Likes

You ever been to the Big Island of Hawaii or Kauai? The black sand beaches - and the regular beaches too - off the beaten track are some of the beaches Iā€™ve loved most anywhere.

2 Likes

Dragonā€™s favorite beaches

1. Karabi Thailand
  2. Few of the coves on Grand Cayman isle
  3. Bayside Tybee Isle Ga
  4. Venice/LBC Cali - not for the beach
  5. Wrightsville NC
5 Likes

We were huge Wrightsville people, but now we are 30 mins away at Bald Head Island IYKYKā€¦

Will send sunset pics tomorrow!

4 Likes

Given weā€™re on beaches - many years ago, our family went to Kiawah and we really enjoyed riding bikes on the beach (sand was very compacted). Are there other beaches like that? That was our only trip to beaches south of the Outer Banks.

1 Like

Nossir My second ex wifes sister lives on the Big Island and she has been many times ha

3 Likes

Late to this conversation, but Iā€™ve been to Dublin a couple of timesā€” itā€™s one of my favorite European cities. Itā€™s not on the list of big Dublin attractions like the Book of Kells or Temple Bar, but I always recommend the Little Museum of Dublin near St Stephenā€™s Green. The tour guides are very entertaining and super enthusiastic about teaching you some of the history of Dublin and Ireland. Itā€™s fun and a little quirky (the top floor is entirely devoted to the band U2) and will leave you feeling like you are a little better connected to the local Irish history and culture.

As for where we are traveling this summer, my wife and I are visiting the Czech Republic and Austria. Weā€™ve been all over Europe, but not to those two countries. I may also try to get out to Utah in early fall to hike with siblings and/or friends in one or more of the Mighty Five. Safe travels!

6 Likes

Yes! That place is awesome! And the tour guide we had was really funny. I assume its in their script, but at the very end they take you to this glass case with a bunch of Dublin-related artifacts.

Our tour guide said "And I want to point out something out, its a signed first edition copy of Joyceā€™s Ulysses. Youā€™ll see its open, and thereā€™s something very special about it I doubt any of you have ever seen before.

Itsā€¦

the bookā€™s last page."

Also, we went to the National Leprechaun Museum for the kids, but it was surprisingly fun for the grownups as well.

4 Likes

Man Iā€™ve been in and out of Dublin countless times and yā€™all are naming all these things I didnā€™t even know existed. I need to get back over there.

For those who will be there this summer esp in Juneish. Take a trip to Croke Park and take in a football or a hurling match. You wonā€™t regret it.

7 Likes

Anytime Iā€™m in Dublin i mean to go to historic stuffā€¦ then i sit down in Temple Barā€¦ and they have 20 varieties of Guinness you canā€™t get anywhere elseā€¦ then itā€™s the next morningā€¦

Toucan 76 btwā€¦ best of the local dublin Guinness brews.

6 Likes

Iā€™m not a big Guinness fan here in the US (nor a big beer fan in general), but when in Dublin I tried to get some pints in me. Still something off about it, so Iā€™m in a cab and the cabbie asks how Iā€™m doing and I mention that Iā€™m still not feeling any love for Guinness despite trying at every meal, including breakfast. He laughs and tells me that even for the Irish, Guinness is an acquired taste and that most Irish spend a lifetime acquiring that taste. He put me onto Smithwickā€™s as an alternative and I have thanked the kindly man ever since. Smithwicks (pronounced ā€œSmitticksā€), was Irelandā€™s oldest continuously operating brewery (founded 1710) and was acquired by, surprise, Guinness in 1965, which was acquired in turn by Diageo (of which the aforementioned Glenkinchie Distillery is also a part). So there, you can get your history in at the same time as your drinking - I like the multitasking.

4 Likes

Not an off the radar recommendation or anything but somehow most people I know that have visited Dublin have missed it: you have to spend a few hours in Phoenix Park. About as impressive of an in city park as youā€™ll find

4 Likes

Great rec on the zoo - Iā€™m not much of a zoo guy but Phoenix Park was a nice way to spend a few hours.

2 Likes

Also get an Irish breakfast at Oā€™Neils

3 Likes

Smithwicks is a far superior tasting Irish beer. For those in the know Murphys is the way to go for stouts

@jazznutUVA i feel ya. In 08 I was on tour with a team and we got to Dublin on. Sunday popped into a bar to watch the It vs Eng game on the midday. We then proceeded to work our way through every floor of the bar as the day went on eventually being banished to the rooftop bar by nightfall to avoid the ā€œnormal patronsā€

5 Likes

Smithwicks and Murphysā€¦ i actually like Murphys betterā€¦ a little sweeter. Weve discussed this in the bee threadā€¦ so check Murphys out too if you can find it. Boddingtons is pretty good tooā€¦

3 Likes

Hard disagree. Boddingtons sponsored the league I played in back in 06-08 and we drank tons of it and it always tasted like it had soap in it.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s an Irish bar/restaurant in downtown Richmond that has Smithwickā€™s on tap, thatā€™s my go to thereā€¦good stuff.

1 Like