šŸŒŽ Travel Discussion

SinƩ Irish Pub? Asking for a friend :beer:

1 Like

Probably Rosie Oā€™Connollyā€™s.

2 Likes

Lived in Savannah for a few years after college. That outdoor bar next to the bird sanctuary beach on Tybee was crucial.

3 Likes

Love Savanah and Tybee donā€™t get to either nearly enough nowadays

2 Likes

For an off topic distractionā€¦ where is everyoneā€™s recommendation for best US tourist trap location? Not city per sayā€¦ but touristy areaā€¦

Iā€™ve never been there, but many have told me how great the Dells are in Wisconsinā€¦ any thoughts? Maybe i should ask CTB. :thinking:

2 Likes

Itā€™s trashy, dirty, and thereā€™s so much more to the city, but I still like the French Quarter in New Orleans for a people-watching experience unlike anything else.

4 Likes

I do like the French Quarterā€¦ first time i went i was at Keesler and went for Halloween.

Dont need to go every yearā€¦ but definitely an experience.

1 Like

Wow Iā€™m jealous over some of these travel plans
Headed to Greensboro next week, wife has a conference then on to WILKESBORO to visit family, then on to hokie territory in swva for a family reunion of sorts then up to Uva to visit the new facility and have dinner with friends.

3 Likes

I love the French Quarter and agree with @GulfCoastHoo. Iā€™ve done Halloween Mardi Gras twice a new years and a handful of other random trips and it never gets old.

I have a classmate with a timeshare in the Dells that heā€™s tried to get me to for 20 yrs but I wonā€™t bite.

Iā€™d say the LA Beaches specifically Santa Monica and Venice are trashy and touristy but I enjoy them for a day or 2.

2 Likes

Same was just in Savannah a few weeks ago. The pink house is a great spot for dinner. Love that part of the world!!

3 Likes

I dont do Savanah nearly enough. My wife is going for a weekend in a few weeks

1 Like

A little OT, but not being native to the Coast, I grew up just thinking Mardi Gras was specific to New Orleans and was just a big drunk fest with girls flashing their boobs.

Until I lived down there, I didnā€™t know it actually has roots with the Catholics and Lent. Itā€™s a huge deal in that part of the country, and they spend months preparing. The kids are out of school Mardi Gras week. The upper class social structure kinda revolves around it. While we lived down there, I actually liked Mobile AL a little better specifically for MGā€¦a good party still, but a little tamer with less emphasis on how stupid drunk everyone could get.

3 Likes

I really like Savannahā€¦ go there occasionally for work due to Hunter Army Airfield. I also like Charlestonā€¦ similar vibes, but not the same. The touristy area of Savannah is real niceā€¦ to keep on topic. :wink:

3 Likes

Itā€™s blasphemy to say round here but I prefer Charleston over Savanah just by a bit.

@GulfCoastHoo Iā€™ve heard Mobile is huge for MG. We have an office in Baton Rouge and they close the week of MG or the high holidays as they say. I would never do MG now but at 20 and 21 it served its purpose.

5 Likes

Sorry to derail but just seeing this thread ā€¦ Might try to have a gap between jobs for a week or two if an offer comes through.

I want to spend 5 days midweek in June staying somewhere remote with redwoods around or close by (or rainforest type area), close to hiking.

Any tips on towns/areas in PNW to aim for?

3 Likes

Charleston and Savannah are both great, but slightlyā€¦different, in my eyes.

We lived in Charleston for 4 years, and have thought about moving back. Thereā€™s not much we donā€™t love about it, but it is a little more reserved than Savannah.

On a trip to Savannah one time my wife & I took a ghost tour in a hearse one night, and there were a couple of younger/fun couples on the tour too. To start the tour, the driver stopped at the liquor store so everyone could stock up before the tour started. His only rule was not to throw any empty cups or bottles out of the hearse, which we rode around with the top off. And this just a random Tuesday or Wednesday night.

An example of what you probably wouldnā€™t find in Charleston.

4 Likes

Pigeon Forge

4 Likes

Bend, Oregon seems cool as a place to use as an anchor

4 Likes

You nailed it. Savanah is still a party city while Charleston where you go for a nice couples weekend.

I find thereā€™s a bit more to do in Charleston besides drinking which makes it a bit more intriguing and it has better food.

2 Likes

Totally agree. While we love both, I can take Savannah in smaller doses.

Savannah is what you get if Charleston & New Orleans had a baby.

2 Likes