Trevor Keels Announces Final 3

During the wait, I went back and read a past recruiting article by HGN. Probably around February. It was about the time smoke started building on the Hoos were in better shape than anyone knew. It’s amazing to me how far it seemed then Keels was on the backburner. Fast forward back to 6 weeks ago or so, Evans drops the Duke is leading out of no where. It seemed to throw the once thought UVa vs Villanova race into a whirlwind .

The talk of Duke selling Keels he would play the point has gotten a ton of play and seems to be the reason why some think he is heading there. It will be interesting to see how it plays out and what will win the ultimate decision. Does he believe Duke’s pitch or does the year long recruitment by Bennett selling him with the chance to play some point (and the number of times he saw him live) pay off?

I find it interesting no one else, especially with none of the national big name analysts, is stepping out to make a prediction. And I acknowledge the fact the 3 who made the CB selection could have info to drive the choice. However, I think those are hope picks more than anything solid. Some are freaking out but again, it’s only Duke people making the selection. I’m not concerned at all. Truth be told, 6 weeks ago from what I see, none of those guys thought Duke had a snowballs chance in hell.

3 Likes

Anyone have any insight into what role / influence Jeremy Roach has in this? Is he a clear OAD at PG? Or will Keels be fine playing with him again if Roach stays?

No idea of their relationship, but I assume they’re close enough that Roach has a lot of sway.

1 Like

I think Keels was probably waiting on A Duke offer. I think we led earlier but things started changing once Duke got serious, which was about the time Christie didn’t buy into Duke’s way of recruiting him. Everyone thought Christie to Duke and Keels to UVA. However, Duke could see Christie was trending elsewhere (MSU) and refocused on Keels. In my opinion, Keels camp continued to give UVA good vibes until they were sure of Dukes serious interest and fit. However, Keels comments regarding an impending commitment to UVA was very telling. It wasn’t just your normal denial. Please don’t be offended. It’s just my gut and how I’m reading the tea leaves. I could be completely wrong.

7 Likes

They are good friends and I’m sure Keels wouldn’t mind playing with him again. As for Roach being a OAD, he is not seen as one right now. Of course, he could have an amazing freshman season and that would change.

1 Like

Yeah I view Roach as a Tre Jones two year player. Potentially gives Keels a year to play with a friend he knows he plays well with, then take the reigns after Roach is gone

Just looking at the denial when the tweet was sent, I don’t think it was aimed at UVa. I think Keels and the people involved were bent someone broke the news. And if I am thinking right, Duke was still heavily involved with Christie and most thought he was heading to Duke.

1 Like

Probably so - and that’s assuming Keels is fine staying two years as well. I haven’t seen enough to understand whether he truly wants to be a OAD or not, but that’s the typical Duke recruiting model now - albeit with guys who don’t turn out that way, too, of course.

I had assumed that a desire to be a OAD was working against us and for Duke, but if he’s willing to play with Roach for a year and then play PG after that, then the OAD doesn’t seem to be a driver. But we all know that Duke will recruit another PG anyway, so there’s that.

2 Likes

All except the only one that matters.

1 Like

They didn’t have a 247Sports back when @DFresh11 was recruited but he made it today!

4 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but why does Jimmy Butler never get mentioned with Keels?

In his mailbag, Meyer, who struggles for a comparison, says: Tremendous physical strength for a shooting guard. Has length as well. Highly competitive with an impressive basketball IQ. Plays a power game but can score from all three levels. Solid ball handler. Good passer. Has strength to be a better rebounder. Solid defender.

Maybe I’m out in the clouds by myself with this one, but I keep circling back to Jimmy Butler. Perhaps it’s just wishful thinking. But that’s where I am.

4 Likes

Think they play a similar game inside the arc, but the main difference I would think of is the size difference (Jimmy is 6’8, 230 lbs) and that Butler isn’t the greatest outside shooter.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s more than fair.

Maybe it’s the intangible things where I see Butler. I’ve always felt that people were selling Keels short with the Waiters comparison. But maybe I’m judging Waiters too harshly on how his NBA career turned out.

wonder who asked Jerry that question…

2 Likes

I think a good comparison if keels works on slimming down some more could be Marcus Smart? Big lead guard who can hit the three confidently and also bulldoze his way to the rim sometimes

2 Likes

When I first saw it, I thought he was naming you as the comp to Keels.

Well done!!

2 Likes

hahaha. we grew up together sort of. At his dad’s basketball camp and same age in Middle Tennessee high school hoops. I am gonna break my guy Jerry for us at LRA

4 Likes

I thought the obvious comparison was Malcolm Brogdon.

2 Likes

I believe Brogdon is a real good comparison to Keels

1 Like

Keels is probably more polished at this stage.

Most definitely