UVA Basketball Thread 11/23

Tira fuori la testa dal culo, stupido arbitro!

Hope that gets you up to 4.

This is the way I saw it too. But I chalked it up to the official trying a bit too hard to apply the new rule.

Even so, a terrible call.

2 Likes

@DavetheWave
@DFresh11

When it happenedā€¦ he started to signal a charge, then hesitated and called the block on Isaacā€¦ Iā€™m not sure if you could see that on TV.

2 Likes

I did not see it, but thatā€™s a great excuse for another rewatch!

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing that prevents teams from clogging the box now on defense. So why donā€™t they? If they can clog the box why bother marking guys 30 yards away?

No striker is going to stand next to the goalkeeper if the flat 4 is standing on the mid line with offsideā€¦ my back 4 would just ignore him as he would be a non-factorā€¦ it prevents cherry picking. It leaves the back half clear when in offensive transition and offense.

Converselyā€¦ the flat four would not be a viable defense if there is no offside. Formation and shape would be fundamentally altered if offsides was not a thing. There would ALWAYS be players in the 18ā€¦ because why wouldnā€™t you just park people in there. The 10 would be standing at the penalty spot like the old time Fritz Walter position.

How would defensive transition even happen? The offside pull wouldnā€™t even make sense as it wouldnā€™t draw the offensive players away from the goal mouth like it should.

In no way would the game not be fundamentally and systemically changed at all levels without offsidesā€¦ it would definitely clog the box more than with offsides.

I could keep going on thisā€¦ but Iā€™m going to stop typing now. Itā€™s not as easy as just removing offside. It would clog everything up.

2 Likes

Wait, you guys talking commie kickball on a basketball thread? This is an outrage, this is blasphemy, I demand punishment!!! There should be retribution!!

3 Likes

A&M with the road win at Ohio State. Thatā€™s gonna be a really tough game. Henry Coleman with the double double.

3 Likes

Why do you call a British game commie? Wouldnā€™t an American Revolution reference make more sense?

1 Like

Eamonn Brennan has a great write up on the Hoos today. Recommend subscribing monthly at least during the season. Hereā€™s a snippet about The Intervention.

20 Likes

Itā€™s a new day, and Iā€™m going to make an effort to keep my Cory comments to a minimum, but I still think part of my irritationā€¦almost as much as him inserting himself into a critical moment of the gameā€¦is how adamant he was that he was right.

I must have watched the replay 50x and still canā€™t say I know exactly what happened. But once Cory dug his heels in, he was NOT going to be wrong.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s okay. Ralph was on the team that lost to San Jose St.

2 Likes

All of a sudden Goodman and Dauster are UVA ā€“ and TB ā€“ fans. Start at about 34 minutes:

(1) The Field of 68 on X: ā€œWE ARE LIVE FROM DURHAM! Breaking down Arizonaā€™s win over Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium! WATCH: https://t.co/AP0HVCC3CV PRESENTED BY @BetMGM https://t.co/UbQZR807rGā€ / X (twitter.com)

10 Likes

Didnā€™t that team have Ervin Johnson (not the original :wink:) who ended up being a 1st round pick? Or is my timeline a little off?

Dauster has been an occasional UVA booster who will turn on us on a dime. I canā€™t stand that troll Goodman.

5 Likes

I agree with almost everything Dauster/Goodman/Childress said about Virginia. Especially Childress calling Tony possibly the best coach in the country and certainly the most under-appreciated (he must have been reading this board). But I think theyā€™re undervaluing Virginiaā€™s talent. Dunn and Beekman are likely NBA prospects. Buchanan might wind up being one, too. Rohde and iMac will be, at the least, very good college players. Bond, Groves and Dante are all solid complementary pieces. Itā€™s a better roster than people realize.

14 Likes

Theyā€™re wayyyy undervaluing our talent. Itā€™s rooted in ignorance really. Goodman just said if anyone else had the roster they couldnā€™t make the NCAAT, thatā€™s bogus.

17 Likes

Just make it based on their foot position, and get on with it. Will make the game slightly more offensive, remove ambiguity. Easier to track with technology. Done.

Yeah was waiting for someone to say ā€œhey itā€™s not like he has a bunch of 2 and 3 stars, these kids are all in the top 100 in the countryā€

4 Likes

100 percent right. He torched us

1 Like