UVA Basketball Thread 11/23

Thank you for the link. That was so enjoyable. Childress has been a fantastic play by play man on our games. He knows our team and understands our program.

Listened to it 3x it was so good.

Go Hoos.

4 Likes

How we feeling about Dunn 2 games in (with respect to what he needs to be for UVA to hit ceiling? More or less optimistic based in preseason expectations?

Foul trouble against TS, so limited run thereā€¦ then crazy steal stat line in game 2, but seems like there was an expectation/hope he could carry a lot of the rebounding burden to pair with Groves, which obviously was not working out last night.

Hasnā€™t done a ton on the offensive end yet, but clearly looks more comfy dribbling. Shots a Work in progress to quote JWilly.

4 Likes

I mean itā€™s super early as said, but unless he shows he can shoot or mid range heā€™ll be back next season. Probably similar to Reece.with a late second s grade.

13 Likes

I feel like the silver lining there is we get him another year. Way too early to have that discussion but if it keeps going this way ā€¦

5 Likes

7.5 ppg at 50-20-50. If he can get to 10 ppg at 55-35-75, heā€™ll be harder to keep around because of his athleticism and defensive bonafides.

2 Likes

Yeah, all the stuff that had Dunn in the top 35 or so in Sam V and Woo/Givony has shown up (defense, athleticism, ability to affect the game in various ways) in spades. Heā€™s not blocking as many shots, but feels like heā€™s spending a lot of time filling the gaps on Grovesā€™s defense.

But the offensive stuff hasnā€™t shown up yet. Heā€™s a little more aggressive, and is semi-comfortable handling, and his usage is up a little bit, but the shot isnā€™t there yet and heā€™s not really creating anything for himself or anyone else yet.

Thereā€™s a lot of room to grow in what iMac and Rohde and Dunn are currently giving us offensively. That can be either an optimistic or pessimistic take depending on oneā€™s view of the ceiling and the likelihood of getting there. I have been impressed what Dante can do in quick bursts, but I donā€™t think itā€™s something we are going to rely uponā€¦

Tangent: official account shoulda titled this ā€œstand up if youā€™re a guard and getting PTā€

https://twitter.com/UVAMensHoops/status/1723384830438649872?s=20

8 Likes

https://x.com/jonrothstein/status/1723332247414079634?s=46&t=bv9cjw4g0eEZorinzCXyaA

1 Like

He had an off shooting night last night (or heā€™s just not a good shooterā€¦tbd) but he had a huge impact on the game on D. I never really was super confident he was suddenly going to be an incredible offensive player, but if jake groves maintains this 71% 3P shooting clip (highly likely if not guaranteed imo) then maybe we donā€™t need Dunn to be a huge offensive threat. But Dunn is a stud.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s how Iā€™m feeling about Dunn after two games: Iā€™m feeling like itā€™s two games, and Iā€™m not going to jump to conclusions on such a small sample size.

My guess is that he ā€“ and virtually the entire team ā€“ have not yet shown us anything close to what theyā€™re capable of.

3 Likes

Only thing that I disagreed with was the odd conversation about why didnā€™t it work with all those ā€œprosā€ we recruited after the natty. haha

2 Likes

It is pretty funny that they have Taine sitting in a chair.

8 Likes

Would have been hard fitting a whole bench into that shot

3 Likes

Do any of the following join the guard/wing (not post) rotation, however you want to define rotation or join, over the next six games (two cupcakes, Ft Myers (2), A&M, Cuse):

• Bond
  • Dunn
  • Murray
  • Other (who?)
  • No (pls donā€™t click this if youā€™ve clicked above)
0 voters

Igor, McCorkle, Taine. Which other pros am I missing? :rofl:

2 Likes

I voted for Bond and Taine. But I wonder if we donā€™t see some 3/4 hybrid with Bond and Dunn as has been discussedā€“Bond at the 4 on offense and the 3 on defense.

Taine will get another chance on Tuesday, with that performance determining whether he gets any minutes against Texas Southern. My guess, no.

1 Like

So far, only 4 Bond/Dunn possessions, all in the TAR game, and all with Dante, iMac, Roadie (gonna make this my Rohde nickname; like heā€™s just the guy hauling equipment around and tuning Reeceā€™s guitar when he needs it, bringing iMac a beer, the little things).

If he wants me to call him Rohde, he can get his usage above 10%.

1 Like

Dunnā€™s offense still pretty raw and inconsistent.

1 Like

Iā€™m not concerned w Dunnā€™s offense. Wouldnā€™t say concerned, but I would like to see his on ball d be a bit better. Seems like his slides have been a bit slow. His help d has obviously been good. But I think if we want to reach our peak, we need him to become a lockdown on ball defender.

1 Like

Stole this from someone on Twitter/X, made it my desktop wallpaper (I need the tough love)

27 Likes

Bond looked like a big in terms of willingness to look at the rim once he got the ball in his brief minutes; he was mostly looking for someone to run a handoff with.

1 Like