UVA January Discussion Thread (and Happy New Year)

If CTB listened to me hed have 10 ships by now. I aint lost a game in 2k18 in like 3 yrs my dynasty looking nice.

8 Likes

3 years meaning 3 seasons or are you in like 2150 for your career?

2 Likes

Williford (from the article) on Dante Harris

““He’s lightning quick,” Williford said. “He’s very good in the midrange, and I think he’s a really good on-ball defender. Some of the other stuff will come, as far as knowing our Pack principles. He’ll get all of that. But his quickness and his ability to create his own shot, I’m not sure we’ve had a guy as dynamic as him in that regard.””

15 Likes

If we must play undersized guards, I will at least be happy if they are incredibly quick. Speed definitely has value.

I will also be very happy if he can get up to like 35% from three working in a more deliberate system.

6 Likes

Talking about a career that would make Wooden humble

3 Likes

Ah, the humiliation pillar, what all good career mode saves are built on.

3 Likes

His new coach has noticed. “What’s really encouraging to see, to me, is his exuberance or his joy on the bench, because I really like to bench dudes,” Bennett said.

14 Likes
9 Likes

Maybe I’m overreacting to what could easily be coach speak but this seems very encouraging, no?

Still hope they go hard after a transfer to fill Reece’s shoes if he goes pro but like what I’m hearing about Dante. Would love to hear Reece and Kihei’s perspective on what they’ve seen from practice.

Could a Harris, McKneely, Dunn, Traudt, Shedrick lineup give the current starters a run for its money??

3 Likes

After one of the coaches compared Jarred Reuter to Georges Niang several years ago, I don’t get too wrapped up in their player comments.

12 Likes

Wait that really happened???

If Reece leaves, Tony for sure would go after a transfer to have two solid PGs on the roster. Don’t know who that would be or whether it would be a starter over Dante or Dante as starter.

I would love to hear a story of Kihei throwing the ball at Dante’s head for frustrating him ala the Ty story. That would give me more confidence than J Willy’s comment in the article.

7 Likes

I do have a small creeping fear that the only thing that’s going to hold us back from our next great run is a missing stud PG recruit. I’m not gonna be thrilled if we just piece together the position through multiple portal pickups unless the next guy we got was a ridiculous transfer pull.

That said, it’s the position Tony arguably recruits best and we should be able to present a great opportunity, so I’m doing my best to keep that intrusive thought at bay.

7 Likes

Spent half and hour at the Starbucks in the Brussels airport chatting UVa hoops with a fellow diehard fan during a layover. Not sure if he’s on here but did mention he followed HGN closely.

That’s up there with randomly meeting a fan in a small mountain town in Swiss alps a few years back.

Gotta love it. Go Hoos.

20 Likes

I was in Brussels this summer watching my son play baseball. I have nothing UVa-relevant to add, but I just wanted to say that the Brussels airport was the worst I’ve ever seen – and that includes O’Hare and Laguardia. Dozens of people missed their flights because it took hours to get through Customs. One guy completely freaked out and the cops literally dragged him off the line. I wish I had spotted another 'Hoos fan, just to help pass the time.

6 Likes

Soderberg told a VAF gathering after the 15-16 season that Reuter was like Georges Niang. Later it came out that he was probably making that comparison because Reuter played Niang on the scout team before the Iowa St Sweet 16 game. So not sure if Soderberg was guilty of the exaggeration or if the inevitable game of telephone after VAF gatherings was guilty. Either way … spoiler alert … Reuter did not become Georges Niang.

Brussels tangent - I’ve been twice. The first, I really didn’t like it. The second I really did like it. For obvious reasons (capital of the EU), Brussels can sometimes have a bit of a Coruscant vibe. But really good beer, interesting architecture/history, really good french fries, and really good chocolate!

6 Likes

@HoozGotNext hearing any reports from practice on how Dante Harris is acclimating?

Been watching some highlight this morning and didn’t realize how much of a dog he was. He has that Justin Anderson energy on the court which I love

2 Likes

Woah settle down there nerd. Or wait am I the nerd for knowing the reference.

5 Likes

Jeff White just wrote a great article on this. Sounds like dude is competing and full seal of approval from Curtis Staples his HS coach

There is no appropriate Coruscant gif. LRA will be getting a strongly worded letter!