UVA January Discussion Thread (and Happy New Year)

I don’t have Coruscant, but I do have an Andor gif describing my current mood

Andy Serkis Cheers GIF by Star Wars

2 Likes
5 Likes

I do wonder what a Reece McKneely Armaan Dunn Kadin lineup look like with heavy reps.

Size at every position = less opportunities for Kadin to pick up fouls helping out others on defense. More help on the boards. Spacing from McKneely Armaan (and Dunn) leads to more space for Reece and Kadin to pick n roll.

6 Likes

Very similar to 2019 when we played Ty, Guy, Deandre, Key and Huff …
Would also like to see Reece, Isaac/Armaan, Dunn, BVP and Sheds

2 Likes

it’s too early for cryptic posts from our bench players

7 Likes

All of those ‘19 guys could shoot the three (or even a pull-up mid-range). Dunn has been pretty hesitant until recently and Shedrick won’t shoot a three. BVP will shoot a three no problem, and so the defense has to respect that in a way that Shedrick and Dunn (yet) don’t command. Opens things up for everyone.

1 Like

I think it would be a good look to throw at teams, guessing that they would be running a pretty standard spread ball screen offense. Though I think the adjustment opponents would make would be to switch everything and live with Kadin post shots, or daring everyone besides Reece to beat a set defense with a drive.

1 Like

My previous company had offices in Zaventem… so I was there quite a bit… I hated the airport so much I ended up taking the train most of the time… which at the end of the day took about the same amount of time due to all the security and waiting at the airport.

If you drive in Brussels you will hate it… the roads were designed for horse and wagon… there is no room for cars. I get the Star Wars reference… take the public transportation and you will be fine. The peeing girl fountain in the Delirium alley is the funniest. My wife loves the Neuhaus pralines the best. Every time I go there I have to get her some.

4 Likes

I’d love to see it, but there’s a reason we are not running it (at least much) this year. MAybe it’s just because implementing the Elmarko offense and re-integrating the 3-man motion, and perfecting Sides has been enough on the offensive side of the ball.

Plus, I’d have to reacquaint myself with the spread. But wouldn’t we want the switch? Then you get Reece driving on a big man, and Shed rolling to the hoop on a guard. Another issue is you might have Dunn’s guy cheating to the lane. But all in all, I’d like to see us try it. You have 2 good shooters on the wings, a guy who’s a threat to shoot the three if the guard goes under the screen, or drive if they switch, or get it to the roll man. Kadin’s not yet a pick and pop guy, which tbh is my biggest concern with Kadin at this point.

1 Like

It also hasnt made sense the past month or whatever while Reece!! Waited for that next level gear to come back after injury(s)

2 Likes

Good point!

1 Like

Different team context, but I’m still scarred from 2020-21 where teams just started switching and sagging off every high ball screen Huff set and totally taking away the roll, without having to help off of TM3 or Hauser.

I also just prefer more player and ball movement than a spread ball screen offense typically has in the college game, but that’s just a me thing. I did not enjoy Duke running offense down the stretch against VT where they set a high ball screen and then everyone stood around until Filipowski did something.

2 Likes

That’s why I loved the continuity ball screen from 18-19! But I think the spread was a better match for our personnel the latter two years, but I forget the ins and outs of the differences, to be fair.

The zoom!?!?!

I forget the jargon … whichever one where we worked it around to have Ty drive Marques Bolden all game

1 Like

Yeah. You’ve gotta think Caleb Foster has some regret at how things turned out from potentially being the 3rd string PG at Duke vs UVA where he might have been running the show from day one.

Edit - Like, if you’re Joey Baker, Duke’s your dream school, and you just really want to go there on scholarship (get a solid, free education, and if pro ball works out then great but its fine if it doesn’t) then committing to Duke early makes perfect sense to nail down your spot.

But if you are anyone else (other than maybe literally the best recruit at your position in the entire country), its madness. Foster was a 5* top 20 nationwide recruit who committed to Duke super early (Sept '21). Duke’s response was to immediately go out and recruit Proctor, similarly ranked player and position from same class, and get him to enroll a year early. All while Roach, who was a similarly ranked player at the same position, was still on the roster.

Sure, if everything works out perfectly, the all leave early and the slot is open for Foster. But if there’s a snag, and none of these guys were obvious OAD players, then you’re effectively getting recruited over before you even arrive on campus and are stuck on the bench (and possibly deep on the bench). And you know there will be a steady stream of 5*s coming in to compete for your job if anything goes at all wrong (which, in Foster’s case, it already did 5 months before he arrived on campus).

Why wouldn’t you wait to see who else they’re picking up before deciding to commit and thus eliminate the risk of getting recruited over? I get it, Duke’s super attractive and you REALLY want to make it work out. But if you’re at that level, you can almost literally go anywhere else you want so its not like your downside is very low.

8 Likes

I don’t mean to hijack this thread with a travelogue, but yes yes yes about the roads. We weren’t in Brussels much – we spent most of the time in Ghent and Bruges. And the “streets” there are essentially cobblestone alleys. The first time we drove to our hotel, we thought our GPS was just messing with us: “This isn’t really supposed to be a street, is it? Like, to drive on?”

Reminds me of my honeymoon in Siena, when we took a wrong turn and practically drove down a flight of stairs into the town square. But that’s a whole other story.

And, now, apologizing for the tangent, I return you to our regularly scheduled discussions of redshirts, player rotations and, of course, Kihei.

8 Likes

Does anyone think we actually know yet how good our small ball lineup is if facing a legit NCAA tournament team with legit bigs with talent that you can’t double too much because they also have guards with talent?
Will be very interested to see how we fare against Duke, @UNC and Clemson…

p.s. Post for BC has been very good in the “post” once he got healthy but he’s also been their best 3 point shooter …
He would be leading the ACC in PER if he had played enough games … would also be 5th in Offensive rating

3 Likes

I don’t think we know that yet, but I’m glad we are potentially developing and practicing multiple offensive approaches so we can deploy them as needed. Not all tournament teams will be constructed the same, so will probably need to be flexible.

And sometimes Plan A just won’t work regardless of anything about the team we’re facing (looking at you NCAA tournament game against Ohio), so hopefully we’ll be able to more easily pivot to a Plan B or C should it come to it.

3 Likes

What I like most about this team is that we can win several different ways. Our best teams had that capability.

3 Likes