UVA January Discussion Thread (and Happy New Year)

Needs to be shots/possessions otherwise this suffers from the pace issue

7 Likes

This may be ignorant fan speak in me too, but I always figured it’s your conference foes who’ve scouted you the most thoroughly, through experience. Opposing coaches have many years of experience studying your coach, a couple years experience studying your upperclassmen, and maybe even a game against you earlier this year.

1 Like

Our 3PA/FGA is #136, so about at the mirror spot on tbe other side of the line

1 Like

Sorta depends. Roy always just seemed to do his thing, even if it played into our hands. Pitino notoriously tried to run UVa specific stuff, unsuccessfully. K, much more successfully. Brey was more like Roy.

I generally think the scouting and opponent specific variations get upped a level in the tournament

5 Likes

K was actually very good at it. Get the ball and run before the Pack gets set

3 Likes

Yep! It’s the same thing that Pitt did to us at their place this year, and that the Wakeforest guards *tried to do last week. It would be great to have atleast Armaan, Reece, and Three-hei continue to drive the lane, BUT also earn some defensive fouls. If iMAC can hit a floater or some close range shots that may be good enough for him this year as well.

1 Like

This *may be true, but I remember some UNC fans saying that Roy Williams never really scouted our team/adjusted to how he was going to play us because it was “Just one game” or “We have other opportunities to make it up against other teams in the conference” or something along those lines of sentiment.

In other words, teams may view us as just an annoyance/pain in the ass but still only 5-10% of their conference schedule so not as important vs. the NCAA tournament situation.

3 Likes

You and I both … still smh at that one

2 Likes

That goes to my point #3 … as an opponent I wouldn’t worry so much about BVP shooting threes all game … he usually is either off or at most on for a half … I’d worry more about all 4 guards out there first.

When his back was ailing and they were playing Sides primarily, I’d agree. He was shooting more poorly and the looks he was getting were more hotly contested.

I wouldn’t want to live on BVP threes right now if I was the opposition. He’s shooting it much better and the looks he’s getting are mostly open. He’s recently increased his three-point shooting % by around 5% just in the stretch of the Smaller Ball games.

3 Likes

I’m going crazy trying to find a highlight and need LRA help. There was a play in one of our post-Pitt games with one of the quickest, most impressive passing sequences I can remember. In my mind, it started with Reece! at the top of the key, right side, who passes and then cuts. The ball gets then touch-passed twice in the lane and ends with a UVa player making a layup at the left side of the basket. I cannot remember who this was against. I’m pretty sure Franklin was involved, but again, my memory is obviously incomplete.

I have wasted at least two hours of my employers’ time trying to find this. Does this ring a bell to anyone? It’s my white whale at this point. I need to see this hot hoops action.

3 Likes

#1 - that’s your time. Your employer gets your labor; they don’t own your time. :wink:
#2 - @Cuts_from_The_Corner b/c he probably watches/re-watches more than any of us besides the staff

2 Likes
1 Like

2 Likes

Do they even practice that shot? I have never gotten there to see the earliest drills, every drill I have seen the shooters do have been beyond the three line.

Looks like Dave found it! That was a great one, for sure. Good ole wide open lane for a back screen.

2 Likes

Without player tracking data maybe this is too subjective, but I feel like BVP is pretty money from 3 taking well paced open 3s, but is pretty awful flipping up quick release pressured 3s. Obviously, this goes for a lot of people, but his split seems really dramatic to me. Like I usually wish Armaan and Imac would force up some more, but never want to see BVP do it.

2 Likes

Liked that the announcers in today’s game shouted out Leon Bond as well. Said he looked good in practice. That’s what the people want to hear!

And from yesterday:

8 Likes

Who’s a better dribbler in the open court?

• Gardner
  • Dunn

0 voters

Kind of a low bar either way.

1 Like