And there it is

13 Likes

Thanks Trey!

10 Likes

While Iā€™m sad not to watch him in a uniform Iā€™m officially amped for Trey

11 Likes

One and done, baby! Tony did it!

23 Likes

I know we knew this was coming but it makes me super nervous that we didnā€™t make any other additions to the roster. Really a head scratcher after the article on Papis long injury history came out.

1 Like

Im surprised they didnā€™t try to find a 2022 target who could reclass to 2021 in the post.

On the chance Kadin explodes this year as a mobile pick and roll/pop big with high ceiling, we are bare at the 5 for 2022 and 2023, even if we bring in a stud 2022 big, them starting from day one getting the packline down (bigger hurdles for bigs than guards) will be interesting.

1 Like

Question for HGN, whatā€™s more likely: a last minute addition via transfer or a 2022 reclass?

3 Likes

Imo the staff were banking on Trey to come back and were shaping the roster accordingly. When a guy like Calhoun enter the portal I was very surprised they didnā€™t even make an attempt at recruiting him. Now thereā€™s 40 minutes opened up at the 3 and I really hope Kody or Taine is ready to contribute

1 Like

I refuse to believe that The Sabre knew that Trey was likely gone but CTB and company didnā€™t

11 Likes

No doubt. The staff thought he was probably gone. I had heard that a couple months ago fwiw.

1 Like

I donā€™t think either is very likely at all. Transfers are pretty much over with. On the off chance UVA convinces some 2022 recruit to reclassify, it wonā€™t be to play immediately.

Yep, no doubt. The staff either a) feels completely comfortable with Kihei Reece and Armaan with the bulk of the 1-3, with reserve minutes from Taine and Kody or b) they expect one or both of Taine and Igor to play and play well from the get go.

The lack of 4-5 depth is another baffling discussion of its own with the injury history of both Kadin and Papi

Donā€™t forget Carson! Hopefully heā€™s playing hundreds more minutes than Kody is at the 1-3. Only way our roster makes sense to me is if the coaches are confident Carson is ready and Kody can play the 4.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s what Cody is. A stretch 4 at the end of the day. Shame he had those health issues. he looked solid in that role player off the bench role.

Reece, Kihei, Armaan, Jayden, Kadin will begin the season.

If the 3pt improvements are made on the perimeter at the 1 and 2 we will be a nasty perimeter defensive team with jayden being a bruiser and kadin in the pick n roll/pick n pop rim protector mamadi/Huff Hybrid.

If the 3pt improvements havent been made I hope we donā€™t hesitate to move Taine (or igor) into the starting line up at the 3.

1 Like

Again donā€™t sleep on Carson! Only way this roster works is if he is ready. Think heā€™s being counted on for a significant role or we wouldā€™ve added another guy.

Of course. In my scenario I still have Carson as a 15-20 minutes off the bench contributer in my mind. The perimeter isnā€™t the concern for me, itā€™s the post depth if Kadin has an injury.

1 Like

I agree. Big question mark. Iā€™m assuming the staff is comfortable with lineups with Igor or Kody at the 4 and Jayden at the 5 because it seems unlikely Kadin and Papi are both available for all 30 games.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure the staff hopes that Carson and/or Taine are ready and that Shedrick and Beekman take big leaps in the offseason, but I donā€™t think not taking any more transfers/recruits necessarily means they are fully confident in those positive developments. I think they are taking a year to see what we have and then address needs accordingly now that they are more comfortable with transfer rules/portal. Guessing they were hesitant to add too many new pieces too soon

1 Like

Agreed. I think thatā€™s exactly it. They anticipate Igor and Koty to man the 4 most of the time with Gardner/Shedrick/Papi at the 5. Obviously will play Gardner/Shedrick or Papi together at times too.

Not sure about that. I think part of the sell to Gardner was not playing the 5. He mentioned that several times during the recruitment.

1 Like