UVa Players NBA Draft Chat

Some months ago, when the consensus was that Trey’s projection ranged from late first-round to undrafted, I mentioned that I thought another year in college could elevate him close to a lottery pick. I remember some people mocking the idea that he would ever rise that high. Turns out the part of my post that was mockable was the idea that he needed another year in college to get there.

5 Likes

Potential for Trey Murphy to end up in the green room. Just keeps moving up!

10 Likes

You can’t treat an underclassmen and Senior/4th year the same. That’s a part of the calculus as well.

1 Like

Murphy at 24 and Hauser at 50

7 Likes

Murphy misses out on the green room.

I think it’s telling that he was considered but I wouldn’t want to be in the green room if any remote chance of falling to late 1st/ 2nd round

11 Likes
3 Likes

I’m beginning to think it may be better for Hauser to go undrafted. He seems to have a few teams interested from what I’ve read (Boston, Miami specifically).

Would be better to pick a spot than get stuck like Guy did in Sacremento. Speaking of which…Kyle is a restricted free-agent. Got to bet he’s G-League bound at this point.

4 Likes

He played well in doses. Feels like he’s in that strange place of G-league star and NBA end of bench. Maybe when unrestricted he can find the right set-up.

Or maybe Sacramento trades a bunch of folks and need him to fill out the roster. There have been a bunch of rumors about their roster

2 Likes

Guy has got to find the right situation if he wants to get some regular burn. Not sure the Kings will let him go, but I’ve given up on predicting anything the Kings front office may do. I think having a full year with an NBA team (even if it was the Kings) was a better spot for him than a few weeks in the G-League or another full season down there. He needs to work on his timing and pacing at the NBA level and he can only do that competing against full NBA players.

2 Likes

First thing Kyle needs to do is shoot better no matter where he goes. For all the talk about rounding out his game and finding opportunity Kyle needs to be at least a 40% shooter from deep to stick. He shot 28.3% last year.

1 Like

Not gonna argue that. shooting 28% from deep won’t do it. What he has going for him is we all know he can shoot and it’s not a mechanics thing. My amateur guess is, it’s a timing thing getting used to the angles and timing of shooting at that level. Which is fixable. Plenty of guys have figured that out look at Joey Hoops.

4 Likes

Cam Payne might be a good example of what Kyle could become if given a chance. Granted, Cameron still needed to go G-League + China to establish himself (and he was originally drafted 14th overall).

Kyle absolutely has to shoot to stick. But think we’re overlooking how much he’s had to retool his offensive game to fit the NBA. Needs to play a lot more ISO, pick-and-rolls, and pull-ups.

I’m bull-ish on Kyle, but not sure any GM is going to invest a roster spot on developing him at this point.

2 Likes

I was more thinking Bryn Forbes

3 Likes

My fear is you’re right about finding a GM and a team willing to provide the opportunity for him to finish seasoning out and develop.

Anybody else think Trey has much more upside in the League than Kispert?? And, for arguments sake, close to the same floor as well…

5 Likes

Much more upside and probably a higher floor as well - I’m not a Kispert fan. He’s getting Joe credit without the work Joe has put in.

2 Likes

I remember that with Bol Bol in the 2019 draft. Didn’t get picked till 44th, I felt bad for the guy.

3 Likes

28.3% in the NBA? That couldn’t have been on enough shots or playing time?

He took 46 shots and made 13. 40% would be 18.4 makes.

This is why guys need not to judge Reece so harshly so soon. Beware small sample sizes.

4 Likes