VA Tech game thread

This looks like a last season scoreboard

2 Likes

First jumper Kody shot without any hesitation today. Bang!

4 Likes

Believe it was 15, so heā€™s broken it

1 Like

Gotta say, love the offense in the second half, but defense hasnā€™t been all that pretty. VT getting to the rim way to easily right now

1 Like

Fast break opportunities.

1 Like

Iā€™ve said this before. It seems like whenever you have every reason to doubt these Bennett teams is when they deliver their best. This was obviously their best performance of the season.

Along the same line, just about every season under TB thereā€™s been that one game where it comes together. Sometimes itā€™s after a disappointing start to the year or just a lull of bad games. Eventually they pull it together, eliminate all the losing plays as Tony likes to say. It happens suddenly. Doesnā€™t mean there wonā€™t be bumps in the road ahead. But I think weā€™ll look back and see today as a separating point from the early season.

8 Likes

Great point and this game completely surprised me. Tech never once was comfortable in half court offense and I think Mamadi played a sneaky near perfect decision making game. At least 3 calm passes out of double teams for easy buckets and on D seemed to anticipate whatever the Tech star was gonna do. NBA stuff

6 Likes

WOW! If I would of told you before the start of the game that Diakite would only score 6 points, what would you expect? Not a 65-39 victory right!? Such an encouraging victory. I was not expecting this.

1 Like

I too was impressed with Mamadiā€™s game. Played smart and didnā€™t force anything. He owned the defensive glass and realized he didnā€™t have to score a lot this game

1 Like

Lots of big things happened for us in this game!
Clark - Career High 18 points
Key - Season High 18 points(with the brace and supposedly fighting sickness)
Stattman - Career High 10 Points
Coleman - tied Career High 3 points haha! Im still proud!

Also what was the stat for VT? 39 points was their lowest point total in 40 years I believe I heard? Was kind of nice Beamer was there to witness this as well as a near capacity crowd.

And we tied our season high points total while our top scorer only adding 6 points. This was such a complete game, and a huge confidence boost for our offense.

2 Likes

Key (UVA) career high was against FSU last year. But was still awesome today.

2 Likes

Check out this work of beauty.

2 Likes

Thanks Iā€™ll edit that. Heā€™s definitely becoming more aggressive and looking for more opportunities.

Mamadi played a great game defensively today. He was covering a lot of ground and making a lot of things very difficult. Handled screens/help D as well as I think Iā€™ve seen him do.

1 Like

Kody looks like he needs to get out and run around to be effective. He looked that way today.

Getting more comfortable with his hand. Heā€™s said that it doesnā€™t hurt but heā€™s just getting comfortable in how to use it right now. Expecting big things from him once heā€™s settled in the rest of the way.

I read what you said earlier about running a bit more for some fast breaks. Seems like it may really be benefiting us. I know it has not been our traditional way of playing, but your right about how its nice for Clark to have the opposing teams bigs behind him. Over the past 5 years, Ive notice that on the rare occasion when we had a fast break, we always squandered themā€¦throwing away easy points every game because in my opinion we were so unaccustomed to fast break opportunities. I think it is one of the points we could improve on. Not saying we should become a fast pace teamā€¦but if the opportunity presents itself, it would be great if we were better prepared and ready to take a few easy baskets.

3 Likes

Also impressive: Coach Carpenter looking like a Masters champion in that green jacket.

5 Likes

Bennettā€™s post game

Players

3 Likes
2 Likes