Way too early 2023 Recruiting

Didn’t realize he was a 2023 and was posting about him in the wrong thread. Enjoyed his highlights. Really wonder if he’ll be able to play center at the college level or not. Although if he grows a couple more inches, certainly could.

4 Likes

More importantly he’s friends with people who run a fake twitter AAU team named after Ty.

6 Likes

As far as I can tell, UVa has not offered a scholarship to Tyler Nickel.
When a player is a scoring machine for his entire high school career, there are usually reasons why a nearby university might not be offering him.
I have not seen Tyler Nickel play.
If you have seen him play in person, is he really 6-7? Is he really 215 pounds?

If he transferred to a school that is more known for basketball, like Oak Hill, IMG, etc., would UVa offer him, or is his level of competition not the problem?
He’s a fantastic offensive player at his level, but does he lack the athletic tools to be a man-to-man defender at UVa’s high level?

Virginia is taking a 6-7 lacrosse player as a walk-on to the men’s basketball team, and it seems like anyone who Tony Bennett thinks is good enough to walk-on eventually will get a scholarship. Maybe the level of academics/basketball that the lacrosse player is from in southern California is a lot higher
than what the Valley high schools have. But of course, there have been numerous big-time basketball prospects from the western part of Virginia, from Grottoes to Harrisonburg to Waynesboro.

I’m in no way saying that UVa should offer him. UVa seems to have no interest in him. Tony Bennett knows more about recruiting than I do.

UVa is down on their number of players on scholarship, so what is your feeling as to why they are not offering Nickel? Indiana, LSU, North Carolina State, and Iowa are some of the schools that have offered him, and it appears that UNC is either waiting to see if Virginia offers him before they offer…or vice-versa?

1 Like

I am new and don’t know people here so no offense meant - I saw an interview with (senior moment - name is escaping me right now) the lacrosse coach and he spoke to the possibility of Cole Kastner (6’7" lacrosse player) walking on to the UVA MBB team. He said that Cole said he wouldn’t make a final decision until the lacrosse season is over.

I think Nickel would be in line for the position that they are recruiting Traudt for and they seem to be all in on Traudt for the moment. If they get him HGN seems to think that they would go after a 4/5 athletic defensive stopper type that we lacked last year and then maybe an athletic wing. Neither of which I think Nickels fits as good of a player as he is.

1 Like

Yeah.

Personally I love Tyler Nickel’s game and he is one of my favorite 22 recruits but the question really is whether he is 6’7 or 6’6. If he was 6’8 hell yeah, otherwise he is stuck in that purgatory of
“who can he defend”. Hauser was in that purgatory and thankfully had the offensive firepower to offset that. With Nickel you have those possible defensive struggles without the guarantee of hitting that Sam Hauser offensive ceiling. But the kid is a little more physical on the offensive end with some bully ball.

The majority of uva’s walkons have not been given scholarships.

5 Likes

There’s some video from last fall that sure makes him look shorter than Justin Taylor. Could be some weird angles at play but if that’s the case Nickel might not even be 6’6.

1 Like

Nickel is probably a legit 6’6. Pictures from the their game against Team Final this weekend showed Nickel standing next to Brown. He was about 2 inches taller. I don’t think he can be a stretch 4 he’s not quite big enough. Might as well subtract 2 inches from the height of all the Team Loaded guys. Hand 6’4, Nickel 6’6, Maliq Brown 6’7. Team Final looked huge in comparison and it showed on the scoreboard.

2 Likes

I was really referring to our program since the national championship. :slight_smile: Aren’t all of the ones we have on our team going to eventually be on scholarship?

1 Like

What about the guy who is listed at 6-8/6-9 240 for STAB? I think he’s in the Class of 2023. Lang is his last name.

7 Likes

Hope he gets to see how the players live and stuff

4 Likes
6 Likes

Sheppard is putting up some serious numbers considering he’s playing up an age group. They go up against Austin Nunez’s team this afternoon in the championship game.

8 Likes

Can we have him?

Have a friend who is a massive UK fan and follows their recruiting. Told me this week Sheppard is no where close to a lock for Kentucky even with an offer. He told me the kid loves Bennett and it wouldn’t surprise him if he ends up at UVa if they offer.

14 Likes

Virginia makes too much sense for him in every way I think. UK not so much outside of legacy. Seems like a player who will keep developing and gain size and strength where at UK you better have it day 1 and be ready to leave quickly

5 Likes

Reed Sheppard and Austin Nunez played today. Didn’t see anything regarding Austin, but found this.

5 Likes

It does feel like we’re drifting away from Nunez atm, which I don’t think is about his play as that initially it looked like he knew how things worked and would be an early commit. Now maybe he’s looking to take a little longer. Because of how the timing works out, that means UVA has to scope out the Plan B’s more than expected. And as that happens, they might look a little better and Nunez a little worse (or not, it’s just possible).

I think this kind of ebb and flow happens with everyone at one time or another. Igor said in an interview that UVA was on him big a while back, then it cooled down but they generally stayed in touch. Then a couple months ago they came back and we’re like “it’s time and we’re serious, want to come?” And here we are.

1 Like