Wild & Wacky Winter of Wooing Wings - Recruiting Rundown

I told my people way back but TB wasnt going hard after Jabri. His people was doing the communicating. Now TB is pretty deadly on getting the tranfers he want but I just thought about a few misses there. I dont know!!

My picks are his picks. Heā€™s ohfer this year. The kiwi plan b being a different animal.

1 Like

I donā€™t think the Kiwi was ever a Plan B

1 Like

Ok well we still are dry on all the obvious plan As.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I like the way it always works out for us. I just am waiting to see us rake in the picks of the litter before I believe it

1 Like

Sometimes your plan A isnā€™t actually your plan A in the long run. Or the plan B and plan C are actually your plan A but you only realize it after plan A has passed. #lifelessonsfromcollegebasketballrecruiting.

2 Likes

2012, 2016, and 2020 were kind of the years they had the really obvious opportunities available. I call them the reload classes. There were individual open situations in other year like where they got Casey Morsell for example. TBā€™s gotten I bet 80% of the players he zeroed in on out of the gate in those spots. You can find them later just as good and thatā€™s a big part of our puzzle too, but itā€™s pretty important for the easy recruiting times to be easy so you can spend more time on the tougher ones. .

Itā€™s still about being smart in who they target, but itā€™s attractive to a wider variety of players.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Hey look, a lefty

5 Likes

Nothing better!

2 Likes

My favorite prospects for ā€˜22 are Nunez and McKneely. Going to be tough to land him, though!

2 Likes

Found this tidbit from Arkansas board who interviewed one of his HS coaches on who he thinks are the schools recruiting him hardest (of course it doesnt mean much because it is still early)

ā€œWhen asked which teams are mostly in the mix for Austin right now, Smith placed the programs in this numeric order: 1. Arkansas, 2. Oregon, 3. Texas A&M, 4. Virginia, 5. Texas, 6. Houston, 7. Georgetown, 8. LSU, 9. Baylor, and 10. Howard.ā€

2 Likes
12 Likes

I know this is the player thatā€™s been beaten to death one thousand times over but what happened with keels? It seemed a few weeks ago that we felt we were right up there with Duke but now we need some major shakes to beat out not only Duke but also (if I understood the article correctly) Nova?

To be clear this is all my opinion. UVA is still all over him, hopeful although I get the impression not nearly as much as 2 months ago. I think Keels whole mindset about it evolved as things went on. The advantages of UVA just arenā€™t as important to him now. He spent the summer working on his body, getting quicker more explosive. Heā€™s looking at more in the way that the typical high end recruit does now. Business decision as I call it. All about immediate role and whatever advantage in branding Duke offers I guess.

Everybody expected him to decide within a few weeks when he released the top 3. At that time, they definitely believed it would be UVA or Duke. I know for a fact that Villanova is very much alive now though. I think thatā€™s a product of him looking at it differently now. If he really wants to come in and be almost handed the ball, thatā€™s the best setup. But of course it happens on FS1.

5 Likes

Bleh that stinks but makes total sense. Wish we would move on to 2022 now

5 Likes

Totally agree. Very, very over it at this point and there is tons of ā€˜22 talent UVA can and should focus on.

4 Likes

Fair to assume ā€˜fasterā€™ means like 15/16 level? In the 340ā€™s in adjusted tempo rather than battling Liberty for dead last. Or are we talking getting real crazy with it and moving to the Villanova area in the mid to low 200ā€™s?

1 Like

Again as I always say, the 5 man 2022 class (well 4 man now unless someone leaves early and realistically only 2-3 man class given we will take a transfer/decommit/rising recruit this spring) bandwagon still has open seats.

He can start right away at Nova, and thatā€™s always been the case since the beginning. If not start be a 6th man with a lot of playing time. Same canā€™t be said for Duke or Virginia (he could start here if he is talented enough but that picture isnā€™t as clear with Kihei reece Jabri Carson Casey Murphy. Also if Reece and Kihei share the floor alot together).

3 Likes

My take on the faster thing is players sort of sub in offensive freedom for actual pace. It feels like theyā€™re playing faster. Bennett teams play slow because they do things that eliminate transition opportunities for themselves and the opponent. Thatā€™s not going to change. Itā€™s on Dickā€™s non-negotiable list.

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t Dick more vocal about wanting Tony to switch from pack line to a full court press defense?

1 Like