Winter Recruiting Thread

Either I didn’t pay enough attention in that A/V elective in 6th grade or there’s an interruption in the space-time continuum on the left side of that court, right around the top of the key.

7 Likes

If Kon can bend space and time, will @Hooandtrue finally get on board?

5 Likes

Good enough to add to the @Hooandtrue 6’7” wing stockpile??

4 Likes

That can happen when players move up the court too fast. He won’t have that problem here at Virginia.

6 Likes

That’s how you recruit for the portal…

2 Likes

Has a little more wiggle than Kon. But also super one dimensional. Ill give Kon that he has a pretty diverse offensive game with the post ups and what not. Also kon is a better shooter than his kid (which is his one dimension).

But if your itching to add a shooter at the 4 and dont feel confident in landing kon, why not. Lol

1 Like

Prefer recruits who can alter 7th and higher dimensions

2 Likes

The UCLA board has this exchange on Dunlap

Man, if they need a list they can just hit me up ya know? LRA → Dream recruiting thread.

Edit: To save time (list includes both offers and no offers)

Caleb Williams
Zion Sensley
Isaiah Otyaluk
Jaiden Glover
Shaedon Simpson
Jalil Bethea
Drew McKenna
Nolan Minessale
Damarien Yates
VJ Edgecombe
Earle Greer Jr
Nick Dorn
Cooper Bowser (project/potential)
Braeden Macvicar (project/potential)
James Moore (project/potential)
Isaiah Abraham (tbd on consistent shooting. Potential)
(and of course taking into consideration that players improve as shooters as we have seen this year)
All players who are good athletes and have the potential to be really good shooters if not elite shooters already.

1 Like

Not the strongest competition but two strong games from Kon recently

Pointguard Gertrude, McKneely, Bond, Kon, akil forward?

3 Likes

I am now assuming that, in the short term, Traudt will play more 5 than 4 with our personnel though he’ll slip out and play 4 at times. Dunn will be our 4 until he heads to the NBA after he finds his perimeter shot. Buchanan will RS and then split time with Traudt at the 5.

I agree that we need an Akil / Mamadi super athletic type 5/4 but am assuming that Buchanan will develop physically sufficiently to stand up to big bully post scorers when we need him to.

So we need a high quality PG recruit, a wing with enough length to guard the 3 but can also shoot, an athletic 5/4 guy, and another guard. Depending on Bond’s skill development and whether the aforementioned wing has sufficient perimeter ball handling skills, we might be able to pass on that last guard.

The best possible scenario for Bond is to become someone that can be plugged into three different positions on the floor depending upon need.

7 Likes

Hoping Bond and Dunn give us versatility to defend 1-5 (at least a smaller 5), but offensive role for both of them is a big question mark.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part, but I believe they both will find their shot in time. Bond looked promising on the European trip and Dunn as a recruit had a rep for being able to shoot.

It’s really key to the ceiling for the next few seasons. If they can prove to be effective on offense and you can put them on the floor together with Gertrude, that’s a very athletic team.

7 Likes

Don’t think that Buchanan will redshirt - think he actually gets top 8 rotation minutes by mid-January…

5 Likes

If we aren’t hedging as much then I could absolutely see that. Buchanan with much more footspeed than BVP and we see Dunn playing right away in the front court.

1 Like
4 Likes

I have to go back and check my first year playing time chart (was going to update it at the end of the season to see where this year’s first years stacked up) but I think that’d be a first for a pure big under Tony. People get it wrong when they say Tony doesn’t like to play first years - he does like to play first year guards and sometimes wings when they’re ready. Bigs though… eh.

2 Likes

Agree that his norm is to redshirt if he has playable depth. Not sure the depth will be there and Buchanan is a very skilled 5.

2 Likes

For non-redshirt guys, I have:

Akil - 35% mins in 2010-11 (#7 on team in mins%)
Darion - 21% mins in 2011-12 (#8)
Tobey - 29% mins in 2012-13 (#7)
Zay - 19% mins in 2014-15 (#9)

7 Likes

I’d only put Tobey in the category as a true big out of that group … maybe Atkins.
Reuter also got about 5 min a game in 26 games played - played 16 minutes and scored 11 points vs Cal … but never played more than 7 min in an ACC game his first year.

5 Likes

I kind of agree, but I think that Buchanan’s redshirt will be dependent on what Coach Bennett can pull from the transfer portal this spring. With the anticipated departures of Jayden Gardner, Ben Vander Plas, and, probably, Francisco Caffaro, some additions to the front court are going to be needed. By my count, the current roster sits at 13. Three players will exhaust their eligibility at the conclusion of the season (Clark, Gardner, & Vander Plas). Two more will have the option of returning for a covid year (Franklin & Caffaro), but I doubt that both take advantage of it. Having Franklin back would be a nice thing, if it happens, but I imagine Caffaro is gone. So, the roster will be reduced to nine (or eight) before the frosh arrive. I have a suspicion that Murray might leave, too. Adding Gertrude and Buchanan brings things back to eleven (or ten).
So, the unknowns are:
Will either Franklin or Murray return?
How many front court players will the staff add from the portal?
Does Coach Bennett want an active roster greater than ten?
I don’t know the answers.

Edit to add: One more unknown: will Gertrude’s injury heal sufficiently by fall, or does he redshirt?

3 Likes