Winter Recruiting Thread

Perry is a good shooter. Still think we need a point guard who can touch the pain and create for others. (very much team Freitag between the two but the one thing I will blindly trust Tony on is pg recruiting).

Perry’s assist numbers over the summer may be inflated to racking up easy assists playing with Burgess and Flory Bidunga (top center in 2024). Very few other aau front courts (if any) can match up.

4 Likes

Yup, I want a PG who can shoot, touch the paint, create for others, and finish for himself. Basically Ty or Malc, I guess (should add - healthy 3rd year Reece). Could also split that up amongst the two guards, and I remain optimistic about Elijah and i-Mac. (Basically, I wanted Elmarko to not want to decide that the midwest is a great place to play hoops).

2 Likes

Do you mean who he offers or who he actually gets?

Both

1 Like

I imagine it is a bit of a lost cause, but I keep wondering, with the turmoil within the Kentucky program (and fan base), is Reed Sheppard having second thoughts? And, for me, the one big questions is: if Calipari leaves the program, does that make Kentucky more or less appealing to him? I don’t know.

He’s not leaving lol

8 Likes

Good! I want to play Kentucky and whoop up on them!

1 Like

Not sure how hard he recruited whom …
I agree generally on offers at least … gotten one of his top 3 or 4 targets in any particular class twice … Reece and Ty…
2011 - offered 3 guys and got none
2012 - offered 6 guys and got by far the lowest rated one in Teven at #267
2013 - Offered 14 guys listed at PG and got Hall at 122 and Perrantes at 147 - Among those offered ranked above them were Tyler Ennis, Cat Barber, Monte Morris, Koenig,
2014 - Offered 6 - got none
2015 - Offered 4 and got none - including Jamal Murray, Jalen Brunson
2016 - Offered 5 PG + 5 CG … Ty was the highest rated PG offered
2017 - Offered 4 - got none … included Trae Young and Matt Coleman
2018 - Offered 12 + 4 CG + 3 SG who played some PG and signed Clark at #378 … offered Coby White and Jared Butler, Prentiss Hubb, Garland, Dotson, Quickley, Quinerly, Devoe, Akinjo, Llewellyn, Duke, Weaver
2019 - Offered 6 - signed none … did sign 2nd highest SG offered in Morsell
2020 - Offered 8 - signed Reece - 5th highest rated of those offered among Cade Cunningham, Love, Roach, Odom, Hayes and Whitt … would venture to say the only one preferred over Reece would have been Cade.
2021 - Only 1 CG offered in Warley - struck out on Keels … not a major loss long term
2022 - Offered 4 - signed CG McKneely (rated 3rd) … among London, Nunez, and Dilione
2023 - Offered 5 - Foster, Sheppard, Chatman, Elmarko, Trey Green - signed none … did sign Gertrude as a potential CG - was the highest rated SG among offers

3 Likes

Which implies you may not agree with who he lands (although am definitely not trying to put words in your mouth - just an interesting convo). I know your mixed feelings about Kihei, but wouldn’t you agree almost every other PG he has landed was pretty much a home run or at least a triple? Malcolm, London, Devon, Ty, and Reece is probably as impressive a list as most programs over the last decade or so. And maybe Devon didn’t have the same heights as the others, but he also helped us have an all-time great season (before the Hunter injury and tourney flame out).

2 Likes

Brogdon was listed as a SG out of HS so I didn’t include him … totally fine including him as a Combo Guard … imho Perrantes played more PG than Brogs did though at UVA … and they had 3 seasons of overlap …
I was simply posting the data to see if Tony actually got who he wanted and how often?
By striking out in 2012 - it allowed us to get Perrantes and Hall … definitely at least 1 guy I’m taking over them is Morris. Ennis was 2nd team all ACC his first year and went pro …

1 Like

What was the last time we played Kentucky? I know we beat them somehow in 2003, and I don’t think we’ve played them since.

What about Kansas? Have we played them since the Elite 8 game? I think we were scheduled against them the year that Covid mucked with schedules, in some tourney.

1 Like

1-2 all time vs Kansas
1-4 all time vs. Kentucky

1 Like

Thanks! I was wondering if there was a resource for that.

We apparently played Kansas twice in my era, and I forgot about that (last one in Nov 97). Also, it was Sweet 16, not elite 8 (beat them, and lost to Arkansas, I guess).

Last against UK was indeed 2002.

Last played UCLA in 90-91 (had a shot this year, but they lost)

1 Like

Beat Kansas in the Sweet 16 and then lost to Arkansas in the Elite 8 … when FT shooting killed us … and Deane couldn’t hit anything that day … could have beaten them.

1 Like

We need to get the home and home done. I would love to see a game in Rupp

2 Likes

The place is awesome. Growing up in KY i went maybe 4 times. Would have taken it over Disney World trip anyday

I think Tony definitely was interested in Love. Can’t tell if the switch to Reece was Tony or Love’s interest in UNC

We tried and came close a few years ago, it even leaked that it was done. UK, like Duke, prefers all big non cons at home or neutral.

1 Like

I think Reece was always Bennett’s top choice. Probably recruited him as hard as anyone I can remember.

5 Likes

Man, this was a class. I wanted each of these guys at one point or another. Was crushed not to get one of Butler or Quinerly (this is not an attempted Kihei fire starter, we just looked at these guys first)

7 Likes