Winter Recruiting Thread

Kayvaun Mulready to Providence. Well at least I got the conference right LOL.

2 Likes

Good landing spot for him, Cooley is a highly underrated coach.

3 Likes

Thomas Sorber behind the Penn State bench as Penn State and Purdue face off at the Palestra in Philly.

1 Like

Watched Prunty in colunbia at chik fil a tournament. Mid major at best. Mentioned his name at dinner with coaches and was told low to mid major.

I was able to catch a number of games that day. IMG and PD. Big fan of Kaiser. Wasnā€™t aware Prunty had transferred to Lexington until i saw the game program with rosters. Guard going to GT looked really good. Kid named Ali really really good.

Russo Nance was very out of shape and didnā€™t look good.

Boozer brothers are as good as advertised.

Tournament was loaded with talented players.

2 Likes

Blue Cain. Remember his name popped up over the summer/had some initial UVA interest and I remember a fan here (I think @Hoohoohoo but could be wrong) liked him a lot. Wonder if he becomes available if Pastner is canned.

On top of all the uncertainty and the portal and what not, I just realized that the Texas coaching hire could cause a cascade/ripple across college basketball in terms of the prospects that become available this spring both HS and transfer.

Edit: just saw that Blue Cainā€™s dad played at Duke, and his first name is Blue because of that. Sickening really.

8 Likes

Yes. He looked like Kyle Guy with the man bun. Very athletic. Played very hard. Really good on defensive end.

1 Like

My man. Yeah, Blue Cain was going off in the Top 100 camp.

He looked G-League Kyle. Really quick, active and deliberate offensively.

1 Like

Nothing substantial in the article but Virginia just listed as one of the schools keeping in contact with the Huntington prep guard. Heā€™s the kid who announced the UVA offer that he doesnā€™t actually have lol (and also I remember people posting ā€œGrandmamaā€ and I didnā€™t get it but apparently there was an older player by the same name who did commercials?). But at the same time HGN believes heā€™s going to be super hard to get anyways so Im always down with these kids announcing they have a UVA offer.

Imagine Reece with a not perfect but much better and consistent 3pt shot (out of HS) and more explosive (instagram clips of him putting people on a poster), but not as far ahead in his vision and playmaking for others (but its still there and thereā€™s some potential).

Oh Iā€™d forgotten about the Grandmama ads lol. But surely the younger set has heard of Larry Johnson? UNLV? Space Jam?

5 Likes

Johnson is really impressive. Saw him in Columbia as well. Very athletic. If he has the ball in the open court, he is scoring. He had a couple of nice alley-oop dunks. Good euro step game. Best player on the court in the the game vs Oak Hill.

2 Likes

People donā€™t remember this series:

Damn, Iā€™m getting old. Also, he had a cameo in the UVa locker room to congratulate the team after a win in the Leitao era. I think they were somehow tight.

8 Likes

Just occurred to me that Larry and Tony were both on the Hornets together, so recruiting the younger Larry Johnson (unrelated) should be easy. ā€œHey kid, I knew your Grandmama.ā€

7 Likes

Here it is, LJ in the locker room:

5 Likes

Looks like he had a good game in the blowout win over IMG (Jamie Kaiser, Blue Cain, several 5 stars)
https://mobile.twitter.com/PointGuardEyes/status/1609017402360037377

@bfmcap or @PointGuardEyes would you say he is a point guard or a combo guard?

1 Like

Ha. Thats cool

1 Like

I didnā€™t see the IMG - HP game, but Johnson would be a very tough player to guard for IMG. As much as i like Kaiser, heā€™s not staying with this kid. Again, super athletic but surprisingly polished offensively.

Combo guard.

1 Like

Like the set plays for alley oops to a guard ā€¦ reminds me of officiating Darren Collisonā€™s team in high school way back ā€¦ he was the shortest guy on his team and they ran at least 2 or 3 back screen alley oops for him every game ā€¦ I knew at that point he was different ā€¦ and then he ended up taking UCLA to 3 straight Final Fourā€™s and a 10 year NBA career

I was on the wrong side of one of those in some NYC pro am game back in the day. Long night which was rare

I know itā€™s a Hoo meme at this point, but god those orange jerseys are gorgeous.

Please Tony, just one time let ā€˜em wear the throwbacks.

6 Likes