Women's Basketball In-Season Thread

Totally slept on the fact there’s a game tonight. @dave92 i blame you

1 Like

Not UVA, but this is indistinguishable from what a message board poster would say if they were coach:

3 Likes

Holly Rowe’s been getting all the spice during sideline interviews these past couple weeks.

2 Likes

Consider it a gift, because you didn’t want to watch this one. The sloppy play finally did us in. Game recaps are going to assign this loss to Fair going all Carson Edwards on us (8-11 from 3, 36 points) but it was really the transition play that killed us. So many live ball turnovers, most of them off lazy passes, and Syracuse feasted on fast breaks. (Meanwhile we had our own transition opportunities and repeatedly failed to finish.)

First loss to a non-top-25 team.

Anyone know why Lawson didn’t play?

1 Like

By the way, that arena was EMPTY. Attendance looked to me like maybe 300. Okay I just looked it up and it says 1600… which would still be really low… and I swear is way inflated.

1 Like

FSU Boat racing a solid Duke tea. Currently up by 20 in the 4th.

2 Likes

Sigh. Another game against a Top 10 team, another “respectable loss.” These teams are clearly better than us… but we’re competitive enough, and have had enough opportunities, to where we really should have stolen one, statistically. (ahem, UNC at home) Oh well.

By far the biggest turnout I’ve seen for a game all year. Unfortunately, a lot of it (a third?) was Tech fans. And then there were these people in front of me who raised this stupid flag every single time Tech scored. I eventually changed seats.

5 Likes

Tough loss again. Feel bad for the team they are in a grind of a conference that has some stand out competition. We all knew wins would be tough to come by but like @dave92 said you’d think the Hoos could pull one of these out.

Unfortunately I think you look at the actual talent on the floor combined with severe depth issues and it becomes a slog.

4 Likes

Just mental errors down the stretch. I watched one play where they committed a dumb foul, layup went in, then the free throw was missed but hoos didn’t get the rebound… wide open 3. Then they pushed too hard on a fast break after a steal.

2 Likes

Valladay seems like she can be a bit wild at times with shot selection snd try to force things, though I haven’t seen every game, so it may just be a sample size issue.

2 Likes

That’s an accurate assessment. I’m actually not a fan of Valladay. She seems to lack game control and understanding, I know the idea is to push tempo etc. but there still needs to be some in game awareness

1 Like

She thinks she has a better shot than she does. She’s a much better facilitator…

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s unfortunate. She’s good at pushing the pace, finding the open player and generally setting people up. But she doesn’t always do that, sometimes she just says “hero ball time” and she just holds the ball and does it herself. Which is bad because she’s only ok as a finisher and actually kind of bad as a shooter.

2 Likes

Good assessment

3 Likes

I’ve said it before but I can’t wait to see what this team looks like next year with the influx of talent. It will still be an uphill battle with the ACC being a strong league and the first years needing to learn to play college ball. But the floor will be raised with the new talent and I can’t wait to see the pieces come together.

6 Likes

I agree… while Valladay is a great option now… she was still only a top 150 prospect… so if Mox recruits like she has been… the talent level will just go up!

2 Likes

Yup and y’all know how I feel about prospect rankings etc. That ranking doesn’t mean much to me once they are in school and playing. Valladay is absolutely a great athlete with a ton of upside, but I don’t trust her to be the primary playmaker/decision maker.

Another example is Sam, she was the top prospect in the country coming out, but I don’t think anyone is game planning for or against her in any significant way. The rankings get you in the door, but it’s up to the athlete to decide what type of player they will be.

5 Likes

Does anyone know which of our seniors are likely coming back next year? 6 of our 11 players are seniors, including some of our most essential players – Cam, Sam, London – so if they aren’t coming back, we need to hit the transfer portal HARD. It’s great that we have a couple of high-rated freshmen coming in but that won’t net out to a talent upgrade if we lose Cam & Sam.

1 Like

Presumably Sam is coming back. Don’t know about the others.

2 Likes

Great question. I seem to remember Sam talking about using both years of eligibility when she first arrived last spring, but I don’t know if that still holds true. I don’t know about the rest, but I agree if the Hoos can avoid a full on reset that would be ideal. Keeping 1 or 2 of them will go a long way.

2 Likes