🏀 Hoos Playing Overseas 2023 - 2024

Update on KG…his old club matched the offer form Valencia…now maybe Greece…

https://twitter.com/NewSwishReport/status/1679279975290077186?t=LhUMtqGIthrUi2JO0BDkWw&s=19

9 Likes

It’s nice to be wanted!

9 Likes

KG got himself in a bidding war. Not a bad position

10 Likes

Not sure if it has changed recently but certain countries, Greece being one, have a bad rep for not paying players on time, etc. panathanikos is a big club so it may be different but I wonder what the word is.

7 Likes

Rick Pitino’s former stomping grounds, right?

4 Likes

Yup that’s where Pitino served his exile

4 Likes

Beats Elba, I assume.

Where actually is Elba?

2 Likes

Comes afrer Idris

12 Likes

A: not far enough from France, apparently

4 Likes

If it is the Elba I know, it is a beautiful island off the Tuscan coast… went there on a ferry for the day, but could’ve stayed a week… think Isle of Capri off of Naples or Hvar off of Split if you’ve been to those two for reference… but smaller and less built up.

EDIT: I just looked it up and it has 30,000 residents… I guess it is bigger than I remember it.

… but based on @haney comment, I didn’t realize it is also the name of a suburb of Paris as well.

4 Likes

Place is getting crowded. Guess there’s not as much… Elba room

:neutral_face:

8 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes

That’s awesome – Panathanikos is perma-Euro League, and Tobey’s Serbian team is at least temporarily.

Nice paychecks, and I guess it’s somewhat fun to move around, but at Tobey’s age, and esp. Kyle with a kid, it would also be nice to have some stability, but I guess you don’t really get that in the NBA either.

Also, I know nothing about Belgrade, but I suspect I’d prefer Barcelona. I’d pick Badalona over Athens, but Athens would be fun, too.

10 Likes

Athens is fun for like 1.5 days but I get it

I think its an awesome way to see the world and get paid. I wanted to do that after UVa days but I Fd the FX rate up on the contract I was offered in lovely Birmingham England in 1993

If they embrace it awesome for their little one as well

6 Likes

The best part of Athens is being close to the Greek Isles

4 Likes
1 Like

KG going to athens, panathinaikos

5 Likes

There’s some chatter in the 23-24 overseas thread

1 Like

You didn’t miss anything skipping on Birmingham also having watched way to much UK basketball recently you could walk in there today and avg 9 and 3 a game.

@haney i think the transient lifestyle is part of the gig. Like Fresh said it’s an awesome way to see the world. Even at Tobeys age. Because once it’s done it’s done and you’ll never have that opportunity again.

I still regret not taking that last contract in Italy to play 2nd division

8 Likes